Author Topic: Belief System  (Read 4326 times)

starwarp2000

• View Profile
    • Email
Belief System
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:00:14 AM »
Hi Tom,
On the Clarity site there is a program for download called "Belief System".
From the accompanying text, I can envisage that it is a Simulation of the Actor Model.
Is this along the lines of Prolog, (i.e. Predicate Calculus) or is it something different?

Thanks
Starwarp2000

If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1.0

TomAddis

• Professor Emeritus
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tom.Addis
    • Email
Re: Belief System
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »
Hi Starwarp,
This is some long term work we were doing with Prof. David Gooding (Science Historian) od U of Bath.  We had quite a bit of funding from variouse research bodies to create a computer model of the research process.  This was to be derived, not from AI, but actual observations of scientists in the past (e.g. Faraday) and the model was created as a kind of working theory of the discovery process.  Our starting point was David's graphical summary of this process from historical evidence (Experiments and the Making of Meaning, Pub Kluwer 1990).  We went through variouse stages and the belief system was our final stage.  The belief system was kit that allowed David to explore and interpolate historical events and thus, in tern, discover more about what happens in scientific activity.  It includes scientists interacting with each other, doing experiments and evloving theories.  It can be looked upon a actor model with a specially created inference system.  It is different from the AI models in some importent respects. My next book will be detailing this investigation. :)

Tom

sneax

• sneakers - nike air max, adidas, diadoras etc
    • View Profile
    • http://sneakerstudio.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »
but whence the program's name, may i ask?

aikon

• View Profile
    • sash window Colours
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:10:29 AM »
but whence the program's name, may i ask?

up
sash window Colours are ones of THE finest out there